Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 3

    This week we learned about conjunction (∧), disjunction (∨) and negation (¬). Conjunction and disjunction were very straight forward and easy to understand but I found myself having a bit of difficulty trying to wrap my head around the whole negation thing when I'm trying to "work" the negation as far into the statement as possible instead of just having it in front of the entire statement. We also went over drawing and tabulating truth. Another interesting thing we covered was De Morgan's Law where we showed with a Venn diagram how ¬ (P ∨ Q) ⇔ ¬ P ∧ ¬ Q.

    I have also been spending quite a fair amount of time working on assignment 1 this week. I have been spending a lot of time on it because I am still having quite a fair amount of difficulty understanding implication. I have found myself constantly struggling to determine what the antecedent and the consequent is in the statement. I feel like I should try to get help with this before it's too late! Maybe I should go to the help centre as much as I can to get help on understanding implications?

    We ended this week off with the "Folding" exercise where we had to fold a strip of paper multiple times and use different problem solving techniques to predict the sequince of ups and downs when we look at the creases in the paper. In the end, we were given hints to think recursively and symmetrically to try to find the solution to this problem and predict when the next sequence will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment